Sunday, January 15, 2012

Valentine Decor on a Budget.

I am I am one of those people who put up decorations for every holiday and season. But I am also one of those people on a budget. But a tight budget plan doesnt have to put a damper on your holiday fun. Less is more I always say and keeping things simple...stupid. :) I do subtle touchs in my house, all which you can do for about $20.

Window Clings: I usually have them on my living room, kitchen windows AND I put them on my bathroom mirrors.

Hand Towels/Kitchen Towels: Hanging in your bathroom, hanging from you oven. Adds alittle flare to each room.

Welcome sign/wreath: I always have something hanging from my door.

Kids Projects: I make items with my kids or use items they made at school. I hang them up year after year.

The rest I pick up over the years when they go 75% off. Little knick knacks on your end table/book shelves ect. I like to have something on the top of my book shelfs. It would be safe to say that 90% of my holiday decor was bought when they are 60%-90% off. Some items I pick up before the clearance but using a coupon. Lately Ive noticed with stores like Hobby Lobby that if you find something you really like, you better buy it ASAP or it'll be gone long before it evens gets to 50% off.

This year I was NOT impressed with the selection of Valentines Day decor items at Hobby Lobby and other places. Which started my build my own decor phase. Something Im going to extend thru out the year...hopfully. Today I used the chip board XOXO I bought earlier at Hobby Lobby for $2 a piece. I traced the letters onto red and white glitter paper, cut out and glued on. I then added punch out hearts and ribbon. A very cute decor item for the top of my book shelf that probably costed me about $12.

Next I found on pinterest.com how to make heart shaped paper chain. Very cute and looks really simple to do but the instructions were in a different language.

So here is MY instructions in english:

Cardstock cut 1inX6in for bigger hearts increase size
Fold each strip in half using bone folder or pencil.
Staple at fold, then bend strips down. You'll find that your paper wont bend so softly so I used a smooth surfaced pencil/pen to bend the paper in a curl.
Bend ends down and meet together, bring to inside of next piece fold, staple. Then repeat.

I made today a heart using the heart chain. I made a chain with 15 hearts per side. I stapled the end together. Then I made an extra heart for middle and glued dot the ends to the extra heart. I added the ribbon with the heart in the center to help with it weight to keep the shape.

I also melted crayons today into heart molds. I didnt make as many as I wanted for my son's class. I would really love to make chocolate suckers for them but we are not allowed to "make" them treats. It all has to be prepackaged. Cant say I blaim the school for that rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment